8.15.2006
Manual Labor and the Future
As I write this, I am sitting at my home computer, taking a break from the beautiful sun that the weather man says makes it only 87 degrees outside (while we - my dad, brother, mom, and I) would agree on about 100 up on the roof. I'm taking the week off from working at school to help my family roof the office building of our motel. I always wondered why people who roof got so dirty. Now I am acutely aware of all the dirt and disintegrating shingles that come with the job and make people dirty, hot, sweaty, and tired. But after a summer of filing music and updating databases, the change is a welcome one. It feels good to be doing manual labor again.
I'm moved into my new apartment - F4 - and am getting pretty excited about my roommates moving in. People start showing up next week - and I'm looking forward to getting to know the other guys better throughout the next semester. For those who don't know and are wondering, "Who are your roommates?" they are - Jonathon Shaffstall, Chris Kuiper, Chris Natelborg, T.J. Lagestee, and Paul Krygsman. It's gonna be a good year.
In other news, Tyler Parson (recent Northwestern grad that I've been working with at CCC youth group) is the new "Pastor of Student and Family Discipleship" aka Youth Pastor at Christ Community Church in Sioux Center, IA. I'm pretty pumped to be working with him and his wife Mel over this next semester (year? - depends on what happens after grad). But either way, I've been getting to know him and Mel over the last year, and he has been a huge encouragement and blessing in my life as I've talked and worked with him. He's great with the kids and very mature in his faith - and a joy to work with. Along those same lines, I've been thinking a lot about membership - especially here at Christ Community. I went and talked to him about it a while back and as we were talking, the topic of where I'm going to go in the future came up...and he offered to help me look at some of the churchs in the EV Free denomination. I'd never really considered being in the E-Free church as a youth pastor, but I've been reading their statements of faith, and I agree with all of them. And I really feel connected with the family at CCC. I love them there! Hmm...maybe God's opening another door that I wasn't expecting. I guess we'll wait and see what else he has in store.
I guess the only other thing is that I am in the process of getting an internship with the Niessink Group Home (part of Hope Haven) in Rock Valley for my Psych field experience. It's a group home with 8 adolescent guys that all have some type of mental handicap and some types of behavioral problems. I'm really excited to get going. I've had my interview already and I just need to fill out paperwork when I get back to campus this next week. With that, youth group, my 3 classes (LOWEST CLASS LOAD EVER!!!), choir, band, and workstudy with Uncle Ron doing career service stuff with the humanities, I'm getting pumped for this next year and to see what God's gonna be doing! He's already working in so many different ways, and I know He's gonna keep doing it! Alright, well, we'd better get back up on the roof soon, but to those of you who are coming back to Dordt this year...see ya soon!!!
I'm moved into my new apartment - F4 - and am getting pretty excited about my roommates moving in. People start showing up next week - and I'm looking forward to getting to know the other guys better throughout the next semester. For those who don't know and are wondering, "Who are your roommates?" they are - Jonathon Shaffstall, Chris Kuiper, Chris Natelborg, T.J. Lagestee, and Paul Krygsman. It's gonna be a good year.
In other news, Tyler Parson (recent Northwestern grad that I've been working with at CCC youth group) is the new "Pastor of Student and Family Discipleship" aka Youth Pastor at Christ Community Church in Sioux Center, IA. I'm pretty pumped to be working with him and his wife Mel over this next semester (year? - depends on what happens after grad). But either way, I've been getting to know him and Mel over the last year, and he has been a huge encouragement and blessing in my life as I've talked and worked with him. He's great with the kids and very mature in his faith - and a joy to work with. Along those same lines, I've been thinking a lot about membership - especially here at Christ Community. I went and talked to him about it a while back and as we were talking, the topic of where I'm going to go in the future came up...and he offered to help me look at some of the churchs in the EV Free denomination. I'd never really considered being in the E-Free church as a youth pastor, but I've been reading their statements of faith, and I agree with all of them. And I really feel connected with the family at CCC. I love them there! Hmm...maybe God's opening another door that I wasn't expecting. I guess we'll wait and see what else he has in store.
I guess the only other thing is that I am in the process of getting an internship with the Niessink Group Home (part of Hope Haven) in Rock Valley for my Psych field experience. It's a group home with 8 adolescent guys that all have some type of mental handicap and some types of behavioral problems. I'm really excited to get going. I've had my interview already and I just need to fill out paperwork when I get back to campus this next week. With that, youth group, my 3 classes (LOWEST CLASS LOAD EVER!!!), choir, band, and workstudy with Uncle Ron doing career service stuff with the humanities, I'm getting pumped for this next year and to see what God's gonna be doing! He's already working in so many different ways, and I know He's gonna keep doing it! Alright, well, we'd better get back up on the roof soon, but to those of you who are coming back to Dordt this year...see ya soon!!!
Comments:
<< Home
Duitman lured me into his office with a promise of a guilt trip accompanied by a coffee-flavored chocolate granola bar. Is that sick or what? And then you weren't even there to help me out! It's ok. But we'll have to play tennis again next week before things get crazy. I second the manual labor thing.
Josh! When are you getting back to Dordt after your week with your family? Looking forward to seeing you really soon!!!
Josh, sounds like you are having an enventful visit home! YAY for the lowest class load ever! Things are crazy in BC! Have a good start to school!
Post a Comment
<< Home

