11.18.2006

 

Relaxation

Yesterday I worked three different times at Niessink for a total of about 12.5 hours. Crazy. But I love the kids, and the staff are fun to work with, too. But after that day, I was happy to relax today. Get up around 10, lounge around til 1, do homework off and on for the rest of the day, and then go to NC/DC tonight (that's Dordt/Northwestern's "American Idol" for those who don't know). Normally I'm not a huge fan of NC/DC just because I think it's a big popularity contest, but my roommate's in it (Jon Shaffstall with other roomie Chris Kuiper accompanying on piano), so I figure I'll go support them. It should be fun.

Thanksgiving's coming up soon! I'm really excited for that - going home, not thinking about homework (unless I do some catch up with Calvin's...), and enjoying the time with my family. Yep. Life is good. Still waiting and trying to be faithful in prayer about the job/everything else in life, but I'm realizing how hard that is. I'm doing a group presentation on John Calvin's thoughts about prayer, and I'm again realizing how bad I am at praying! Here's a quote which convicted me:

"A fault that seems less seroius, but is also not tolerable is that of others who, having been imbued with this one principle - that God must be appeased by devotions - mumble prayers without meditation." (that's in III.xx.6 - pg. 857 for you avid Calvin readers)

But yeah, that's me all over. If I even do my devotions, I will often time just read the Bible a little bit and then journal some, but there's a lot of times where I just do it for rote. God calls me to take time for him, but I shouldn't do it with the attitude of "ARRGG....I have to take time for God now..." (overexaggerated, but you get the point). So now where's the balance between getting in a habit of doing devotions (because that's a good discipline) and thinking that "God must be appeased by devotions?" Still a struggle, but a good one to think and not just be passive about.

Comments:
good, true thoughts. especially the quote. enjoy your turkey and your family and the fuzzy warmness of family holidays.
 
Hey Josh - thanks for the note.. Grace and I did have a marvelous weekend. :) It was really really raelly good (for lack of better and more expressive terminology). I didn't get a chance to read your blog, but I'll try to soon.. don't worry, you're not the only one who hasn't been checking blogs lately. :) Have a great Thanksgiving, Josh!!!
 
that was a good Calvin quote. thanks for sharing it. Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home