9.23.2007
The past two weeks...
...have been a blur. Last week I spent the majority of it in Sioux Falls training to become a certified SCM (Safe Crisis Management) instructor. It was a very intense week, but I loved it. SCM is a training that we use at Niessink that focuses on de-escalating situations before the guys reach the point of acting out physically. So there was a lot of book work in learning different styles and types of interventions (verbal/non-verbal) so that we can avoid situations where the guys could become physical. We talked a lot about avoiding power struggles that can happen a lot and to make sure that we're there for the right reasons (i.e. to help them, not just call them on what they do wrong - especially at a place that specializes in behavioral intervention, like Niessink). But then SCM also recognizes that there will be some times where physical intervention is necessary to keep yourself or others safe. And so a portion of the training is learning the different holds and how to use them safely. All in all a great week. Charley (our short, grizzled, Southern instructor) pushed us hard, but encouraged us a lot throughout the week. So I passed the tests and now am working with Emily (the other person from Hope Haven that took the course with me) to get prepared to actually teach this to others. I'm excited for that.
So that was the week of the 10th. Then this last week has been filled with trying to catch up with paperwork and stuff from the week I was gone. and trying to implement what I learned into how I interact with the guys. And then I'm helping out with junior high youth group (OuTbUrSt!) on Wednesday nights, and loving that. There's a bunch of great kids in there and so working with them and helping with praise team and worship planning committee (talking about past church services - how they went, what can we do to improve - and future church services - what's coming up, what do we need to do, are there issues that need to be discussed...) - it's been a lot of busyness, but with that I feel like I'm actually contributing to my community and serving in a way that God has gifted me. Now i just need to try and do that more often (not just work). My roommate moves out soon, and so soon it will be only me in the apartment, which I've learned is conducive to helping me just staying here instead of going to Sioux Center and seeing people. So I've got to be careful of that danger.
Apathy...one of the devil's greatest tool in North America today. I'm convinced of that. Which means that we have to fight back! By seeking God and trying to serve and become more like Him every day!
So that was the week of the 10th. Then this last week has been filled with trying to catch up with paperwork and stuff from the week I was gone. and trying to implement what I learned into how I interact with the guys. And then I'm helping out with junior high youth group (OuTbUrSt!) on Wednesday nights, and loving that. There's a bunch of great kids in there and so working with them and helping with praise team and worship planning committee (talking about past church services - how they went, what can we do to improve - and future church services - what's coming up, what do we need to do, are there issues that need to be discussed...) - it's been a lot of busyness, but with that I feel like I'm actually contributing to my community and serving in a way that God has gifted me. Now i just need to try and do that more often (not just work). My roommate moves out soon, and so soon it will be only me in the apartment, which I've learned is conducive to helping me just staying here instead of going to Sioux Center and seeing people. So I've got to be careful of that danger.
Apathy...one of the devil's greatest tool in North America today. I'm convinced of that. Which means that we have to fight back! By seeking God and trying to serve and become more like Him every day!
Comments:
<< Home
Josh, it does sound like you had a crazy couple of weeks, but it sounds like they were good!:) outburst must be fun. i have to say that i have developed an appercaition (dare i say love) of working with jr. high!:) hahaha! i hope you are doing well! Cheers!
hey josh, good to see that you are writing again. I sure miss you.. I think I am going through "son" withdraws...:(
Ma
Ma
Hi Josh, it was good to see you a couple Sundays ago. I remeber last fall semester wanting to go out to coffee with you and it never happened so I am writing to you to propose an outing of coffee again. I would love to sit and chat.You can email me at jlpln@dordt.edu or try my cell phone with poor reception at 206 229 2220.
-Joel Pilon
Post a Comment
-Joel Pilon
<< Home

