3.02.2008
Nerds, Bowling Balls, and Transmissions.
I think I'm going to be buying a new car. It's more necessity than desire, really. My transmission went out on Friday night. The day after my landlady backed into the side of my car. I think that my car doesn't like me much right now for letting all this bad stuff happen to her. I've had a lot of people tell me I should name my car, and I've stubbornly said no. Partly because I'm not good at naming things. But also because...no, I guess mostly because I'm not good at naming things. But I think my car is a female. Don't know why, but I called it a "her" earlier in this post, so I guess I'll go with it. Anyway, I was on my way to the church where the Jr and Sr High youth groups were meeting to leave for Nerd Bowling in Hull. (I'll post some pictures later...I'll just let the thought of red suspenders get your imagination going). As I was pulling into the church parking lot, I heard this horrible, grinding sound that you should never hear coming out of from under the hood. I got the car in park and took my foot off the brake, only to find that my car still rolled backwards as if in neutral. So it is currently sitting in the church parking lot awaiting assistance from some car shop in Sioux Center...probably Darlo's. I am thankful that I was in the church parking lot when it happened. That way my fellow nerds could give me a hand. Although it could have been an adventure if my car had broken down in town while I was in full nerd-attire. But I'm guessing that with the other promising aspects of my car (starter, power locks, ABS...all not working right), I should start looking for another car. I was really frustrated at first, but after thinking about it for a while, I'm realizing that God hasn't left me hanging yet, so I'm excited to see how he's going to provide for me in this situation. Sometimes it's hard not being in control, but I'm learning that it's often better that way. Even if it doesn't seem like it at the time.